Household Items

There are a number of organisations that can help you with household items:

Department for Work & Pensions

Budgeting Advances/Loans: Budgeting advances will replace social fund budgeting loans for eligible Universal Credit claimants from April 2013.   Budgeting loans will continue to be available to all those claiming legacy benefits until all such claims have either been closed or migrated to Universal Credit.

Referral info: none



 Download form SF500 from

Buttle UK

Small items grant: Can meet items such as: beds / bedding, white goods, washers where there are health or mobility issues / setting up home grants / children’s clothing in crisis situation / items or services critical to the well being of children and young people. Must be additional need other than hardship.

Referral info: via statutory agency or voluntary organisation able to assess needs of young person.



CMBC – Children’s Centres

Funding for smaller items: Need based, can meet emergency food needs, smaller household items such as pots / pans bedding etc.  Support worker will secure funding and go with individual to make the purchase.

Referral info: none

 Amanda Cryer

 01422 373133

McMillan Cancer Support

Small items grant: Savings no more than £6K single or £8K couple / family.  Look at level of disposable income after mortgage / rent / CTX paid.  Item provided dependent on individual need, can help with bills, provide h/h item that makes life easier or item that enables individual to continue with activities they enjoy.  Max grant £250.

Referral info: Via social care professional such as social worker / district nurse / McMillan nurse.



Project Colt

Start up packs for homeless: 3 types at differing costs £100-£600 dependent on content, quality and availability. May waive cost in extreme cases. New and second-hand shop: household and office furniture, clothing etc.

Referral info: none

 Malcolm Stockings

 01422 377176

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)

Furniture: On referral case worker will complete means-tested application. Apply to all relevant charities to obtain funds to meet need.  No cash ever given to applicant.  Have links with major stores, goods ordered and invoiced via caseworker.

Referral Info: Open to those with past or present connection to the armed forces.

 Lester Edon

 0113 244 9254


Furniture and goods: Have small store of donated furniture, but goes very quickly and used by own support workers.  Can refer clients on to Bearders Trust when CCG not successful – requests are always met and one off £250.00.

Referral info: none

 Julie Charalambous, 9 Portland Place, Halifax

 01422 361515

Stonham – Women’s Refuge

When client arrives with nothing are able to provide toilerty packs/ food parcel and clothing from own stores / welfare fund for women and children escaping domestic violence.

Referral info: none

 Heather Cooper

 01484 727429

Community Foundation for Calderdale (CFFC)

Crisis Grant: Organisations refer to Community Foundation on a regular basis for individual support grants for their customers.  CFFC has given 10 of these referral agencies their own small pot of monies to manage as needed.  Currently manages / administers budgets on behalf of council – short breaks, counselling for children and young people, minimising alcohol and substance misuse, joint budget from Council and NHS.

Organisations with small grant budgets: Calderdale Young Carers Service, Calderdale West Yorkshire Probation Service, St Augustine’s Centre, Stonham Tenancy Support, Foundation (Calderdale), Calderdale Smartmove, Horton Housing, Calderdale Citizens Advice Bureau, Mixenden Parents Resource Centre, Age Concern Calderdale & Kirklees

Referral info: From a partner organisation listed above.

 Rob Bilson

 01422 438738